Throwing an evening party, and need some mood lighting for your table? You don’t need to spend a lot of money buying designer accessories! Try this simple project to create some beautiful energy efficient lights for your next event.
What you’ll need to get started:
- Mason Jars
- Valspar frosting spray
- Solar powered path lights (choose lights that are small enough in diameter to fit into the mouth of the Mason jar)
- Plastic wrap/plastic sandwich bag
1. You’ll need to frost the glass jar. Please follow the directions on the back of the spray can and make sure to do this outside. Do NOT frost the top of the jar. You’ll need this to be clear for the solar panel. To avoid frosting the top of the jar, you can wrap a plastic bag around it and tie it off with a twist tie. Apply as many coats as you’d like and let dry.
2. Once the first coat is dry, make sure to spray the bottom of the jar.
3. Pull the top off of the path light and remove the battery. You’ll need to unscrew the back off of the solar panel.
4. Cut the plastic and metal from around the solar panel. You may need to use pliers to bend the metal back.
BE CAREFUL: METAL CAN BE SHARP!!
5. Cut the excess plastic around the battery and wires.
This is what you should have left:
6. Put the battery back in the solar panel. Tape the two pieces of solar panel together as securely as possible and then tape to the lid of the jar.
7. Close the lid of the jar. Let the jar sit in the sun to charge and you’ll have lights ready for the evening!