Businesses don’t have to wait until April 22 to promote a greener workplace in celebration of Earth Day. Here are a few ways you can go green while saving green:
Save the Trees
- Whenever possible, go paperless, from the invoices and statements you send customers to those you receive from your vendors.
- Share reports and internal communications electronically.
- When you must use paper, choose products made from post-consumer waste – paper that has been recycled and put back into use, rather than going into the waste stream.
- Schedule an energy audit to see if your office’s lighting, equipment and other facilities are as energy efficient as possible.
- Replace incandescent lights with ones that use less electricity like LEDs and CFLs.
- Encourage an office policy that the last person out of a room must always turn off the lights. Even better: place lights on a sensor that automatically turn off after a room’s unoccupied for a predetermined time.
- Install a smart thermostat or have your staff change the temperature to a predetermined “unoccupied setting” when they leave.
Knowledge is Power
- Talk to your electricity provider about any programs or education they offer to help businesses reduce energy usage and costs.
- As a business customer of ours, you can use the TXU Energy PowerReport to track and monitor your company’s electricity consumption. You can access it 24/7 through your TXU Energy MyAccount and see detailed reports and graphs that will help you better understand your company’s energy usage.
What eco-friendly changes is your business making this Earth Day?