Ghosts, ghouls and goblins may knock at your door this Halloween. But, more threatening and costly phantoms may lurk inside without you realizing it.
No, we’re not talking poltergeists. We’re talking phantom loads — electricity used by electronic devices even in the off or stand-by mode. Also called “vampires” or “energy thieves,” these hidden electricity costs can really add up.
Your electronics may be “off,” but they can still act like Dracula — sucking electricity away even when you’re not watching.
To keep the energy vampires at bay this Halloween, below are some simple and easy tricks that provide you with a real treat – energy savings!
- Candles. Nothing says fall, especially Halloween, quite like candles. Use candles to light up dark spaces, in Jack-o-lanterns, and walkways. Remember to always choose 100% beeswax or soy candles.
- LED lights. If candles aren’t an option, try LED lights. LED lights last 25 times longer that their incandescent counterparts.
- Solar lighting. You will definitely win best house on the block by using solar lighting this Halloween. Drawing all its energy from the sun, solar lighting uses zero electricity, making it scarily delightful.
- Shakable flashlights. Use these shakable flashlights to light the way. Shakable flashlights have no batteries and about 30 seconds of shaking provides up to 7 minutes of power. Your kids will love them too.
- Free Nights. With TXU Energy Free Nights you can take advantage of free electricity between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. Fill your dishwasher with every dish from your Halloween party and run a load of laundry for free.
No matter what time of the year it is, using electricity and saving money shouldn’t be scary. With our Energy Thieves calculator, it doesn’t have to be difficult either. Energy Thieves is a Web-based tool that will help you identify all the electricity ghosts in your home.
The last thing you should have to be scared about on Halloween is paying more for energy. Using these tips will provide for a spooktacular celebration for all.