When you’re doing your final spring cleaning, you’ll likely have the windows open and a nice breeze keeping you cool while you work. But the sweltering Texas summer is on its way and soon your air conditioning (A/C) system will be the lifeline in your attempts to stay cool.
That’s why it’s important to make A/C maintenance a part of your spring cleaning routine. A properly functioning air conditioning system will cool your home more effectively, and can save you a significant amount on electricity costs.
It’s a good idea to hire a professional to conduct an annual checkup on your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system to make sure both your heating and cooling systems are running efficiently, but there are also a few things you can do yourself.
- Depending on your system, clean or replace dirty air filters to keep your system running smoothly and prevent future damage.
- A professional should inspect ducts, coils and wiring to make sure there isn’t any wear or leaks, but this is something that you can also conduct on the areas you can easily access. If you encounter a problem, call a professional.
- Make sure the refrigerant in your A/C system is filled to the proper level.
- Clean all your intake vents with a broom or duster to remove dust and build up.
- Remove leaves, dirt and other debris from the outside or inner casing of the unit.
- Clean or replace filters based on unit specifications.
- Check wiring and coils for damage.
- If you have a window unit, make sure it’s fitted and connected snugly to your window frame so cool air isn’t easily escaping.
Once you’re confident your cooling system is functioning efficiently, you can rest easy knowing you’ll have plenty of relief from the summer heat.